QuickBooks error code 12007 is mainly caused by a faulty internet connection and users are often unable to update QuickBooks to the latest available version. There are many different reasons for the problem, such as QuickBooks being unable to obtain an OP address for a server, or Internet Explorer settings being misconfigured.
Whatever the original reason for the question, the article should cover all the solutions for each individual case, so make sure you follow the instructions correctly and hopefully you’ll be able to answer the question.
Solution 1 – Make sure Internet Explorer is configured correctly
Internet Explorer is often the first place to look for errors in certain QuickBooks and the Internet connection as a whole. These settings are easy to adjust, so make sure this solution is the first step in addressing the issue.
- Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon located in the upper right corner.
- In the menu that opens, click Internet Options.
- Go to the Connections tab and click LAN Settings.
- Automatically check the checkbox next to Discovery Settings and make sure proxy servers are blank unless you’re actively using one, which is not recommended when updating QuickBooks.
- Make sure to apply these changes before navigating to the Advanced tab. Look for SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 and make sure they are checked. After checking them, uncheck the box next to the Verify publisher’s certificate option.
- While still on the Advanced tab, scroll down to the bottom of the window and make sure TLS 1.2 is not checked. Also, make sure to check TLS 1.1 and restart your PC to check if QuickBooks is updating properly now.
Solution 2 – Update QuickBooks manually
Updating manually should be easy for everyone as Intuit made it quite easy. There is a chance that the server is lagging behind the current update in particular and you may not have similar issues in the future.
- Go to Update to Latest Release
- Make sure your product is selected. Otherwise, click the Change option and select your QuickBooks product.
- Click the Update button and select where you want to save the file. Click the Save button.
- When the download is complete, locate the file you downloaded and double-click to install the update. You may need to restart Windows after the installation is complete.
- When you’re done, open QuickBooks and press F2 to check for the latest update.
Solution 3 – Check QuickBooks internet connection
QuickBooks may not be able to use your computer’s Internet connection for a variety of reasons and you may need to check this within the program by following the short series of steps below.
- Open QuickBook by double clicking on its icon.
- Go to Help >> Internet Connection Settings to open the related settings.
- Click to select the “Use my computer’s Internet connection settings to establish a connection when this app accesses the Internet” option.
- Click Next >> Done and try to use the update manually by following the series of steps below.
- Select the Update QuickBooks option located under the Help menu at the top of the screen.
- Click Options and select the Check All option. Click the Save button and click Update Now. Click Reset Update and then click the Get Updates button.
- When the Update Complete message is displayed, close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop. If you get a message asking you to install an update, click Yes.
Solution 4 – Reset program update settings
Resetting QuickBooks update settings can really help you with the update process and fix the error that may have appeared in the recent period of time.
- Open QuickBooks again and click the Update Now tab.
- Find the Reset checkbox and click the Get Updates button
- Check if the update is installing now.
Solution 5 – Check your Windows firewall settings
Firewalls can prevent QuickBooks from accessing the Internet properly, and this is a major concern. Different firewalls can be installed on your computer, but using more than one is not recommended. Let’s see how to make sure that QuickBooks files are not blocked by Windows Firewall:
- Navigate to Control Panel by searching for it in the Start menu and clicking System and Security >> Windows Firewall. You can change the scene to big or small icons and click Windows Firewall immediately.
- Select the Advanced Settings options and highlight Incoming Rules on the left side of the screen.
- Right-click Enter Rules and click New Rule. In the Rule Type item, select Port.
Select TCP from the first set of radio buttons (TCP is recommended) and change the second radio button to “Specific local ports”. You will need to add the following ports to configure the QuickBooks update functionality:
QuickBooks Desktop 2018: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
QuickBooks Desktop 2017: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
QuickBooks Desktop 2016: 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
QuickBooks Desktop 2015: 8019, 55363-55367
- Be sure to separate them with a comma until the last, and click Next when you’re done.
- Select the Allow radio connection button in the next window and click Next.
Select the type of network where you want to apply this rule. If you frequently switch from one network connection to another, it is recommended that you check all the options before clicking Next.
- Name the rule that makes sense to you and click Finish.
- Be sure to repeat the same steps for Outbound Rules (select Outbound Rules in Step 2).
Solution 6 – Perform a clean install of QuickBooks
A clean install is usually done when one of the program’s features is broken and needs to be fixed, and also when the regular install does not provide any comfort or solution to the problem. To begin the installation process, make sure the setup file you downloaded is fixed QuickBooks Official Site . You will also need your license number before you begin.
- First, make sure you’re logged in with an administrator account, as you won’t be able to remove programs using any other account.
- Back up any data you need to keep because QuickBooks will delete it.
- Click on the Start menu and open Control Panel by searching for it. Or you can click the gear icon to open settings if you are using Windows 10.
- In Control Panel, select View as: Category in the upper right corner and click Uninstall a program in the Programs section.
- If you are using the Settings app, you need to click on Applications to open a list of all installed programs on your computer immediately.
- Find Tapbooks in Control Panel or Settings and click Uninstall.
- The QuickBooks Uninstall Wizard should open with two options: Repair and Remove. Select Remove and click Next to uninstall the program.
- A message will appear asking “Do you want to remove QuickBooks for Windows completely?” Select Yes.
- Click Finish when the uninstall completes and restart your computer to see if any errors still appear.
Next in the process is to rename the installation folders so that QuickBooks doesn’t use the remaining files after reinstalling them. This is a simple task.
- Navigate to the C >> Windows folder on your computer by clicking on this computer option located on your desktop.
- Note : If you cannot see some of the folders mentioned below, you will need to enable the Show hidden files and folders option for the folder.
- Click the “View” tab in the File Explorer menu and click the “Hidden Items” checkbox in the Show/Hide section. File Explorer will show hidden files and will remember this option until you change it again.
- Navigate to each of the folders shown below and rename them by adding ‘.old’ to their name. This means that the new installation of QuickBooks will not use these folders or the files in them.
C: ProgramData Intuit QuickBooks (year)
C: Users (current user) AppData Local Intuit QuickBooks (year)
C: Program Files Intuit QuickBooks (year)
64-bit version C: Program Files (x86) Intuit QuickBooks (year)
Note : You might get “Access Denied” error when you try to rename these folders. This simply means that one of the QuickBooks processes is running and it is preventing you from modifying any of the files and folders used by these processes. Follow the steps below to fix this issue:
- Use the key combination Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager. Alternatively, you can use the Ctrl + Alt + Delete key combination and select Task Manager from the menu. You can also find it in the Start menu.
- Click More details to expand the task manager and find the entries shown below in the list on the Processes tab of the task manager, right-click each one and select the End task option from the menu context that will be seen. .
- Click Yes to display the message: “WARNING: Terminating a process, including data loss and system instability… may have unintended consequences.”
- You are now ready to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop by running the file you downloaded earlier. The link is at the beginning of this solution. Follow the instructions on the screen and check if you get the same error.
Workaround : If for some reason the clean uninstall doesn’t work, you can always try to repair the installation by selecting the Repair option in Step 7 of this Solution. After the process is complete, try to see if the error message is still visible.